For the 1902 Theodore Roosevelt renovation of the White House, the architects McKim, Mead & White commissioned the noted New York firm Edward F. Caldwell & Co. to provide lighting fixtures. In the East Room were hung three massive electric chandeliers made of cut glass and gilded brass by Christoph Palme & Co., Parchen, Bohemia (Austria-Hungary). Only a year later the chandeliers were taken down and "the diameter of the lower portion reduced in size". They were shortened and modified again during the Truman Renovation (1948-1952). Each chandelier currently consists of about 6000 pieces of glass and weighs about 1200 lbs.
Office of the Curator, The White House
The East Room Chandelier
U.S. Government purchase, 1902