As part of the refurnishing of the White House after the fire of 1814, President James Monroe ordered for the dining room in 1817 a large gilded bronze plateau. Made in the large and prominent Parisian shop of Jean-François Denière and François Matelin (circa 1797-1820), it was described as "mat gilt with garlands of fruit and vines with figure of Bacchus and Bacchantes and pedestals on which are 16 Figures presenting wreathes for receiving lights [candles] and 16 cups for changing at will, composed of 7 pieces altogether 13 [sic 14] feet 6 inches long, over 2 feet wide, set with its mirrors." It was accompanied by three baskets, a pair of urns, and a pair of stands, all extant.. In 1854, 32 cut glass dishes were acquired as an alternative to candles.
The White House Collection | Treasures of the White House
U.S. Government purchase, 1817
Office of the Curator, The White House