White House Sketches
Theodore Roosevelt's Temporary White House
June 29, 1902
In 1902, architect Charles McKim directed a complete renovation of the White House that doubled the space allocated to the family living quarters, provided a new wing for the president and his staff, and a new area on the east for receiving guests. During the construction work, the president and his executive office staff moved into the Townsend House (736 Jackson Place) on Lafayette Square that became the temporary White House. Washington's Lafayette Square in this period was an elite neighborhood with a storied past and considered one of the most prominent addresses in the city.