Title: White House Conservatory
Description: Among the changes President Buchanan made to the White House was the addition of a conservatory in 1857. To make room for the remodeled Treasury Building, the White House greenhouse and stables had to be demolished and moved. The new conservatory, which housed plants of all kinds under a roof of glass, was placed in what is now the West Wing. First families used the conservatory as a private space free from public visitors.
Creator: Tinted by Hall Baglie
Credit: Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper