Title: The Treaty Room, George W. Bush Administration
Description: The Treaty Room was used as a Cabinet room from 1866-1902. Since 1993, it has functioned as the president’s private office on the second floor of the White House. On the wall by the window is a portrait of President Ulysses S. Grant. Grant ordered the table seen here, presently used by President George W. Bush, for his Cabinet in 1869. It has eight locking doors, which each Cabinet member used to store important papers. Behind the table hangs The Signing of the Peace Protocol Between Spain and the United States, August 12, 1898, painted in 1899 by Theobald Chartran.
Date: June 2003
Creator: Peter Vitale
Credit: Photograph by Peter Vitale, copyright White House Historical Association