Title: Oil Portrait of Jimmy Carter
Description: President Jimmy Carter initiated the first scientific restoration of the White House exterior. Beginning in 1980, forty layers of old paint, dating back to 1817 and President James Monroe, were removed using chemicals, pressurized water, and hand scraping. After the paint was removed, holes in the stone walls were plugged with carved limestone, and stone decorations were repaired. Once the walls were restored, an even layer of off-white paint was sprayed smoothly and cleanly on the stone. The project was done in stages, and finally completed in 1992.
Creator: Herbert E. Abrams
Credit: White House Historical Association (White House Collection)