Title: The White House, Johnson Administration
Description: President Grant first added flowerbeds, a fountain, and a circular pool to the north front of the White House in 1874. During President Lyndon Johnson’s administration, the circular pool and fountain were surrounded by bright red tulips and grape hyacinth. The flowers around the North Fountain are changed three times a year. Today 4,000 oxford tulips and 8,000 grape hyacinth are planted each spring.
Creator: James Blair, National Geographic Society
Credit: White House Historical Association