Title: The White House at Night
Description: The South Fountain and White House glow with lights. In 1865, President Abraham Lincoln installed the first fountain on the south grounds. The designer was Major B. B. French, and it never properly functioned. President Ulysses S. Grant installed the current circular fountain in 1871. At that time it was powered by steam. Today 8,000 oxford tulips and 16,000 grape hyacinth are planted around the South Fountain.
Date: c. 1972
Creator: Erik Kvalsvik
Credit: White House Historical Association