White House History #28, the semi-annual journal of the White House Historical Association, looks at the evolution of presidential transportation with articles on train travel, the first presidential use of air travel and helicopters, and a feature on Air Force One.
“Mobility is essential to the presidency,” said William Seale, editor of White House History. “The articles in this issue of the journal present different aspects of presidential transportation from the late 19th century to the present, showing how hooves, wheels and wings have mobilized the presidency from the twilight of the age of the horse to our own time.”
This edition begins with John H. White’s “President Grover Cleveland’s Goodwill Tour of 1887.” Catherine Forslund writes about “‘Off for the Ditch’: Theodore and Edith Roosevelt Visit Panama in 1906.” Hillary Mannion observes “Motor Cars Come to the White House” and Gary Scott talks about “The Presidents and the National Parks,” while Lydia Tederick views “A White House Exhibit on National Parks.” Mary Jo Binker describes “‘A Journey into Nowhere’: The Redirected Vacation of Harry S. Truman.” “Gettysburg and the Golf Courses: Ike and the First Presidential Helicopters” by Roger Connor and “The Airborne Ambassador: President Ronald Reagan and Air Force One,” by Frederick J. Ryan Jr. round out the 100-page journal.
White House History is published twice each year by the White House Historical Association and features articles on White House history, architecture, fine and decorative arts, and garden, as well as stories about the occupants of the White House and their experiences living there. White House History is available for $6.95 per copy. To order please call toll free 1-800-555-2451 or visit our website www.whitehousehistory.org.
The White House Historical Association, established in 1961, is a nonprofit organization whose goal is to enhance the understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of the White House. All proceeds from the association’s trusts, publications and other items are used to fund acquisitions of historic furnishings and artwork for the permanent collection, to assist in the preservation of public rooms, and further its educational mission.