white house historical association : white house art > an audio visual gallery tour
white house art > "union (1869)" by constantino brumidi, 1805-1880
Originally installed on the ceiling of the White House Entrance Hall during Ulysses S. Grant's presidency, Union contains many American symbols. Brumidi also painted a companion piece for Union called Liberty. In 1891, both paintings were removed during a redecoration. Eighty years later they returned to the White House collection.
audio narrative
art magnifier
 
back
gallery
next
Home         Shop         Ornament         History         Classroom         Press         Publications         About



» desktop-optimized / requires flash plug-in «