The White House Historical Association is accepting applications for the full-time position of Director of Donor Relations. This is a key position in a new and growing development program. This position reports to the Associate Vice President of Development and oversees donor relations and stewardship activities in the WHHA Development Office.
The Director of Donor Relations is responsible for developing the relationships with the organization’s leadership giving circles. The position will work collaboratively with senior management and with front line fundraisers.
This will require a high degree of professionalism and superior communications skills – both oral and written.
Success in this role means making the White House Historical Association a preferred charity for donor involvement through enriching and rewarding relationships.
Key areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Management of the Association’s premier annual giving circles and its planned giving recognition society:
- National Council on White House History – This is a circle of leading philanthropists, Fortune 100 executives and entrepreneurs who are committed to the Association’s work. They serve as a philanthropic advisory board and are instrumental in recruiting additional support for the organization.
- Lead the development and execution of semi-annual meetings, and other events as scheduled. This includes meeting materials, programs, and venues.
- Arrange travel programs – primarily domestic but some international travel.
- Provide support to the leadership of the National Council.
- Work with gift officers to strategically grow the membership of the National Council and to cultivate, solicit and steward existing members of the National Council.
- Develop an annual communications plan for the National Council.
- Blue Room Society & James Hoban Society – Individuals in these giving circles make annual gifts from $1,000 - $24,999 annually.
- Arrange for special luncheons and on-site visits with members and Association leadership.
- Support mid-level gift manager with materials and strategies for recruitment of new Blue Room Society and James Hoban Society members and engagement of existing members. This will include travel to strategic markets for engagement and cultivation events.
- Oversee gift renewals and acknowledgments.
- Develop and execute an annual communications plan for each giving society.
- Provide regular communication with donors through emails, newsletters and special reports. This includes writing, editing and working with a graphic designer, and/or graphics software.
- Coordinate donor appreciation events.
- Ensure that benefits are offered/delivered to donors.
- Ensure that proper and consistent recognition is provided to donors in accordance with department guidelines.
- Stewardship and ongoing engagement of major donors to restricted projects. This includes acknowledgments, gift impact reports, recognition.
- Keeping accurate lists of donor information.
- Update all activities in donor database.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least ten years of work experience in fundraising operations, or comparable experience working with high net worth individuals.
- Self-directed and results-oriented.
- Superior writing, editing, and interpersonal skills.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Experience with high-profile donors and volunteers.
- Capable of managing numerous complex tasks simultaneously; demonstrated focus on anticipating and meeting project deadlines.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Knowledge and experience with donor CRM programs such as Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, or similar software.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Director of Donor Relations in the subject line.