- 08/27/2018 - 10/28/2018
- White House Visitors Center 1450 Pennsylvania Ave NW Washington DC 20230 U.S.A.
The White House Historical Association and the National Park Service recently unveiled a new exhibition at the White House Visitor Center in Washington, D.C. The exhibit features a carved Double Scottish Rose. This design became popular in the 18th century and was a great source of pride for the people of Scotland, including the stonemasons who worked on the White House during the 1790s. The rose appears in many different places on the exterior walls, columns, and porticos of the White House, and is prominently displayed above the North Door in the stone swag.
The Aquia sandstone rose was produced by Charles Jones of Historic Environment Scotland and Dale Lupton of Historic Preservation Training Center, National Park Service. This is the same type of stone that was used in the construction of the White House. This exhibition was created through the partnership of the White House Historical Association with the National Park Service, White House Office of the Curator, and Historic Environment Scotland.