The White House Collection: The Truman Interiors
On March 27, 1952, President and Mrs. Truman returned to a freshly renovated White House after living at Blair House since November 1948....
This construction of this gilded bronze and marble musical clock was a joint effort. The case was possibly made by Pierre-Joseph Gouthiere and the movement made by Michel-Francois Piolane, both of Paris. President Vincent Auriol of France gifted this clock to President and Mrs. Truman to commemorate the completion of the Executive Mansion renovation. It was accompanied by an English carved and gilded overmantel glass gifted by King George VI of the United Kingdom. The clock was placed in the Red Room and the glass was installed in the State Dining Room.