Jan 19, 2011 Washington, D.C. —
White House History #27, which focused on The White House Neighborhood, received an award in the “Best Journal Design” category from The Council of Editors of Learned Journals (CELJ) at their annual awards ceremony in Los Angeles, CA on January 8, 2011.
The cover features two photographs of the historic Decatur House, built in 1819 by Benjamin Henry Latrobe for Commodore Stephen Decatur. The photograph on the front cover taken by Bruce White on a November night in 2009 shows the house lit by street lamps on Jackson Place. The photograph on the back cover focuses on the façade of the house; it was taken in 1930s by Volkmar Wentzel whose photography of Washington at Night is featured in the issue.
White House History #27 is the first of two issues on The White House Neighborhood at Lafayette Square and featured articles on the history of Saint John’s church, Blair House, the original executive offices, W.W. Corcoran’s house and the bronze equestrian statue of Andrew Jackson. White House History #31, slated for release in 2012, will revisit The White House Neighborhood with articles on Decatur House, notable members of St. John’s Church, The Willard, Dolley Madison, and the Ingersoll House.
White House History #28 looks at Presidential Journeys and presents some different aspects of presidential transportation from the late nineteenth century to the present, showing how hooves, wheels and wings have mobilized the presidency from the twilight of the age of the horse to our own time.
The current issue, White House History #28, highlights the evolution of presidential transportation with articles on train travel, the first presidential use of automobiles and helicopters and a feature on Air Force One.
For more information please visit shop.whitehousehistory.org.