Two grand houses were under construction in the young Federal City in 1816: one the President’s House, reconstructed after it was burned by the British in 1814, and the other Tudor Place, an elegant mansion rising on the heights above Georgetown. The builders of Tudor Place were Thomas Peter and Martha Parke Custis Peter, Martha Washington’s granddaughter. The White House and Tudor Place each represent the spirit and aspirations of the early republic.
Compiled by the White House Historical Association. Please credit the Association by its full name when using this information.