White paint has nothing to do with covering the burning of the house by the British in 1814, although every schoolchild is likely to have heard the story that way. The building was first made white with lime-based whitewash in 1798, when its walls were finished, simply as a means of protecting the porous stone from freezing. Congressman Abijah Bigelow wrote to a colleague on March 18, 1812 (three months before the United States entered war with England):
"There is much trouble at the White House, as we call it, I mean the President's" (quoted in W. B. Bryan, "The Name White House," Records of the Columbia Historical Society 34-35 : 308).
Meant to wear off for the most part, leaving cracks and crevices filled, the whitewash was never allowed to weather, but was refreshed periodically until the structure at last was painted with white lead paint in 1818. By that time it had for more than a decade been known as "The White House." The name, though in common use, remained a nickname until September 1901, when Theodore Roosevelt made it official.
We've Also Been Asked...
You Might Also Like
Photo Christmas Cheer: Eisenhower Family
The Eisenhower family steps from the North Entrance of the White House bearing holiday gifts. December 1957.
Photo Christmas Cheer: First Lady Betty Ford and Daughter Decorate Cookies
First Lady Betty Ford and her daughter, Susan, decorate holiday cookies in the White House solarium. December 10, 1975.
Gallery Christmas at the White House
Photo Christmas Cheer: First Lady Pat Nixon and Gingerbread House
The tradition of displaying a gingerbread house in the White House at Christmas began with First Lady Patricia Nixon. December 11, 1972.
James Hoban: Architect of the White House
James Hoban's life is a memorable Irish-American success story. In his boyhood he learned the craft of carpenter and wheelwright,...
Did slaves build the White House?
What are some interesting facts about presidents and first ladies?
The Other White House
For a four-year period in American history, two official houses carried the name White House. Standing 90 miles apart, across the...
The Historic Decatur House
When Commodore Stephen Decatur, Jr., and his wife, Susan, moved to the new federal city in 1816, they purchased land on...
Photo 2015 White House Christmas Ornament; The White House Icon
The White House always had an attic, but a full third floor was not created until the Coolidge Administration. When...
Fourth of July Celebrations at the White House in the 19th Century
The People's House: Thomas Jefferson began the tradition of a public reception to celebrate the Fourth of July in 1801. The...