Gift Shop Manager
The White House Historical Association is seeking a Store Manager to work on location in our Washington D.C. Gift Shop. The Store Manager will report to the Vice President of Retail.
Roles and Responsibilities
Your role is varied and holds multiple shades of administrative, clerical, and other functions of a retail store manager. As the store manager, you are in a position that requires a considerable amount of trust and attention to detail. You will be expected to act as a positive role model for employees and customers in all respects of professional customer service and development.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Right from the moment when the doors of your store are opened until the time they are closed, you will be asked to proactively participate in almost all the activities that take place. Your small boutique-style setting is extremely fast paced, providing outstanding customer service for large groups of customers in a short period of time!
Your primary job duty includes maintaining a positive attitude and focusing on customer satisfaction. You will work directly with customers to determine their needs, answer their questions about our products, and make product recommendations.
As a manager, you are responsible for helping to organize merchandise, return misplaced items, ensuring an orderly appearance of in-store displays, placing price tags, and processing various forms of payment.
The responsibilities of the Store Manager involve opening and closing the store and assuring that the store is left ready for the next opening.
Specific Areas of Responsibility but not limited to:
- Actively lead your team by being accessible, present, and involved in the day-to-day employee experience.
- Customer Service Focused, ensuring quality and excellence.
- Ensure strategic goals and sales targets of the store are met by maximizing sales and gross profit, reviewing sales performance, controlling expenses, and managing inventories.
- Arrive on time for early morning openings.
- Process various forms of payment and deliver bank deposits twice a week.
- Preparation of daily invoices and reconciliation
- Communicate with senior leadership regarding store changes.
- Analyzes results, identifies opportunities, and makes decisions in collaboration with senior leadership team.
- Product management by ensuring excellence and knowledge of the product being sold.
- Overseeing a small team of retail staff, including hiring, training, developing, scheduling, and assigning responsibilities.
- Relationship Management ensures a positive, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Provide staff with feedback, coaching and performance evaluations.
- Conduct Performance Reviews with Sales Associates annually to review progress on overall goals and objectives.
- Maintain professional standards and affiliations.
- Responsible for ordering office supplies, scheduling meetings, and generating sales reports.
Preference will be given to a candidate with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a retail leadership role including experience with staff supervision. The ideal candidate will possess a business degree or a combination of equivalent skills and work experience. Knowledge and experience using RetailPro a plus. Knowledge of accounting procedures. Demonstrate supervisory/managerial skills. Demonstrate computer familiarity.
How to Apply
Please e-mail a cover letter describing your relevant experiences, a resume, and the names and contact information of three references, in a single Word document or PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. The White House Historical Association is an equal opportunity employer.
The White House Historical Association is a nonprofit educational association founded in 1961 for the purpose of enhancing the understanding, appreciation, and enjoyment of the Executive Mansion. This is not a political position or a position with the United States Government. All proceeds from the sale of the Association’s books and products are used to fund the acquisition of historic furnishings and artwork for the permanent White House Collection, assist in the preservation of public rooms, and further its educational mission.
Candidates selected for this position must pass a full background and reference check. Candidates MUST be available to work weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
WHHA offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Life insurance
- Long/Short term Disability
- Long term Healthcare Plan
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- 403B Matching.
- Paid Holiday
- Paid Sick Leave
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Personal Day
- Paid Meal Breaks
- Metro Smart Benefits
- Employee Discount Program