The White House Collection: The Truman Interiors
On March 27, 1952, President and Mrs. Truman returned to a freshly renovated White House after living at Blair House since November 1948....
This wooden gavel was made from wood salvaged during the Truman Renovation. Souvenir kits were made from surplus wood, nails, plaster, and bricks removed from the Executive Mansion were sold to the public, usually in the form of kits, as was the case with this gavel. The plaque on the gavel's head authenticates its White House origins. This photograph was taken by Jim Allen.