Main Content

John Quincy Adams hired Antoine Michel Giusta as his valet after they met in Belgium in 1814. Giusta was a deserter from Napoleon's army. During the time John Quincy Adams and Louisa Catherine Adams were living in London, Giusta married Mrs. Adams's maid. Antoine and his wife had managed the Adams' households from the time the Adamses returned to the United States in 1817.1

The Adamses moved into the White House in March 1825. In June, Antoine Giusta, now the White House steward, accompanied the President on what was to have been a pleasant excursion on the Tiber Creek. Their canoe was not in good condition, however, and was soon half full of water. A northwest wind kicked up, and Adams and Giusta jumped overboard, losing hold of the canoe. They swam to the opposite shore. Giusta had already shed his clothes, but the President gave his own wet garments to Giusta, who went in search of help. Adams and Giusta each lost several items of clothing, as well as the canoe, but they returned to the White House unharmed.

John Quincy Adams recorded the day's adventures in his diary entry for June 13, 1825:

"I attempted to cross the river with Antoine in a small canoe, with a view to swim across it to come back. He took a boat in which we had crossed it last summer without accident. The boat was at the shore near Van Ness's poplars; but in crossing the Tiber to the point, my son John, who was with us, thought the boat dangerous, and, instead of going with us, went and undressed at the rock, to swim and meet us in midway of the river as we should be returning. I thought the boat safe enough, or rather persisted carelessly in going without paying due attention to its condition; gave my watch to my son; made a bundle of my coat and waist-coat to take in the boat with me; put off my shoes, and was paddled by Antoine, who had stripped himself entirely naked. Before we had got half across the river, the boat had leaked itself half full, and then we found there was nothing on board to scoop up the water and throw it over. Just at that critical moment a fresh breeze from the northwest blew down the river as from the nose of a bellows. In five minutes' time it made a little tempest, and set the boat to dancing till the river came in at the sides. I jumped overboard, and Antoine did the same, and lost hold of the boat, which filled with water and drifted away. We were as near as possible to the middle of the river, and swam to the opposite shore. Antoine, who was naked, reached it with little difficulty. I had much more, and, while struggling for life and gasping for breath, had ample leisure to reflect upon my own indiscretion. My principal difficulty was in the loose sleeves of my shirt, which filled with water and hung like two fifty-six pound weights upon my arms. I had also my hat, which I soon gave, however, to Antoine. After reaching the shore, I took off my shirt and pantaloons, wrung them out, and gave them to Antoine to go and look out for our clothes, or for a person to send to the house for others, and for the carriage to come and fetch me. Soon after he had gone, my son John joined me, having swum wholly across the river, expecting to meet us returning with the boat. Antoine crossed the bridge, sent a man to my house for the carriage, made some search for the drifted boat and bundles, and found his own hat with his shirt and braces in it, and one of my shoes. He also brought over the bridge my son's clothes with my watch and umbrella, which I had left with him.

"While Antoine was gone, John and I were wading and swimming up and down on the other shore, or sitting naked basking on the bank at the margin of the river. John walked over the bridge home. The carriage came, and took me and Antoine home, half dressed. I lost an old summer coat, white waistcoat, two napkins, two white handkerchiefs, and one shoe. Antoine lost his watch, jacket, waistcoat, pantaloons, and shoes. The boat was also lost. By the mercy of God our lives were spared, and no injury befell our persons." -- The Diary of John Quincy Adams, 1794–1845, edited by Allan Nevins. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1951: 348–359. Previously published as Memoirs of John Quincy Adams, edited by Charles Francis Adams.

Detail of an early map of the city of Washington. The Tiber Creek extends east from the Potomac River, a few blocks south of the White House.

Library of Congress

Footnotes & Resources

  1. William Seale, The President's House (Washington, D.C.: White House Historical Association, 1986), 166.

Notes on this text: Adams describes his waterlogged sleeves as "56-pound weights." This is probably a reference to the 56-pound weights used in Celtic/Scottish athletic events that date to the 16th century.