Main Content

President John Adams first occupied the Presidents House on November 1, 1800. It stood for thirteen years and eight months until it was burned during the British invasion in August 1814. After a concerted effort by Congress to move the capital to Cincinnati, the government appointed two architects to "repair" the Federal City's public buildings: Benjamin Henry Latrobe, an Englishman of skill in architecture and engineering, worked on the Capitol; and Hoban rebuilt the White House. Hoban completed the work in 1817, but he returned in 1824 to build the portico on the south for President James Monroe, and in 1829 to add the portico on the north for President Andrew Jackson.

"Capture of the City of Washington," a representation of the destruction of Washington by the British during the War of 1812.

Rapin's History of England, Kiplinger Washington Collection

Idyllic view of the White House from the south during the Jacksonian Age, c. 1834. This image may be a reversed view taken from a daguerreotype, as the ornamental garden presented here was actually on the building's east side.

The White House Historical Association (White House Collection)

The North Portico of the White House as it appeared with the paint removed during stone restoration in 1990.

Richard Cheek, The White House

Time, and occupants with different needs, have altered the White House in many ways. However, the White House image famous throughout the world is Hoban's entirely. It is a handsome residence, embellished with unquestionably the finest architectural stone carving produced in America at that time an august house, yet a house and not a palace. And when Hoban rebuilt it, he was ordered to make it as it had been, which he did, perpetuating the image and his own claim to a place in history.

"Statuary marble" Italian mantelpieces ordered from Purveyance, Nichols, & Company were delivered to the White House in 1819. Examples can be seen in the Red and Green Rooms today.

White House Historical Association

The South Portico of the White House today.

William Phillips, White House Historical Association

You Might Also Like