- Bruce White
- Date of Work
- April 16, 2014
- White House Historical Association
This photograph of the Cutts-Madison House was taken by Bruce White for the White House Historical Association on April 16, 2014. Though the house is also referred to as the Dolley Madison House due to its association with the first lady, the Cutts-Madison House was built by Mrs. Madison's brother-in-law, Richard Cutts. James Madison purchased the house in 1837, and it remained Dolley Madisons home until her death 1849. The house passed through several owners including General George B. McClellan. From 1889 to 1952, it was the headquarters of the Cosmos Club, a private organization whose members have distinguished themselves in the arts, sciences, and literature. Currently, it is part of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit complex.