Main Content

Closed Doors of the Front Hall, Decatur House

This photograph of the closed doors in the curved doorway of the Decatur House was taken by Bruce White on December 18, 2017. The doors lead to the main staircase which takes guests to the upstairs parlors. The doorway also features wooden faux vaulting, including a shallow dome. Completed in 1818, Decatur House was the third building on Lafayette Square and its first private residence. It was designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe, the architect of the Capitol and several other famous buildings, for Commodore Stephen Decatur (1779-1820) and his wife, Susan Wheeler Decatur. Tragically, on March 22, 1820 Stephen Decatur was mortally wounded during a duel. After his death, his widow Susan Decatur rented out the house to foreign ministers and several secretaries of state. The house was eventually sold and passed through several hands, including the Gadsby family, the U.S. Subsistence Bureau, and the Beale family. Marie Ogle Beale, a society maven and the last owner left the house to National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1961. In 2010, the White House Historical Association and National Trust entered into a co-stewardship arrangement of Decatur House.
Bruce White
Date of Work
December 8, 2017
White House Historical Association