In this photograph, taken by Robert L. Knudsen on December 15, 1970, President Richard M. Nixon signs bill H.R. 471, also known as the Blue Lake Bill or the Taos Pueblo American Indian Land Deed, in the State Dining Room. President Nixon is accompanied by Taos Pueblo Governor Quirino Romero, Cacique religious leader Juan de Jesus Romero and secretary and interpreter Paul Bernal. The legislation returned Blue Lake and the surrounding mountains to the Taos Pueblo people. The land had been seized by the United States government in 1906.