Main Content

Treaty Room, John F. Kennedy Administration

Photographer
Bates Littlehales, George F. Mobley
Date of Work
May 1962
Type
Photograph
Credit
White House Historical Association
View in the Digital Library

Treaty Room, John F. Kennedy Administration

This photograph of the Treaty Room was taken in May 1962. The room's predominant color is rich forest green which covers the walls and floor. Its furnishings include a table and a marble mantel clock from the Grant administration and the portraits of presidents Zachary Taylor and Andrew Johnson. The Treaty Room is located on the Second Floor of the White House and has been used as the presidents private study where the commander-in-chief can analyze reports, hold private meetings, edit speeches, and host family gatherings. However, it is one of the most historic rooms in the house, bearing witness to the signing of the peace protocol between Spain and United States in 1898, and the Limited Nuclear Test Ban Treaty between the United States and the Soviet Union in 1963, and it is possibly where President James Monroe composed the Monroe Doctrine. It has also served as the Cabinet Room for various administrations including Ulysses Grant, Rutherford Hayes, and William McKinley.

You Might Also Like