Main Content

White House Decorative Arts in the 1940s

White House Decorative Arts in the 1940s

White House Decorative Arts in the 1940s

Water Goblet and Finger Bowl. T. G. Hawkes & Company, Corning, New York, 1938, on blanks by Tiffin Glass Co., Tiffin, Ohio. The first new glassware service since 1891 was ordered for the Roosevelts in 1937. Also shown, Salad Plate--Lenox, Inc. Trenton, New Jersey, 1934. A state china service for 120, decorated with an inner band of gilt roses and plumes from the Roosevelt family coat of arms, was chosen by the first lady in 1934.